Monday, September 27, 2010

Casa: A Partial Rememberance of a Puerto Rican Childhood - Judith Ortiz Cofer

A cautionary tale that i heard in my family was between my sisters. How they talk about feminine things and how there bodies work differently than males bodies. They must of thought that i was sleep in my room because I was young and they didn’t want me to hear about what are the certain names of the parts that were on a females body. That night I was listening outside there door about how they get periods. I didn’t know what that meant until I kept ease dropping and when I started to hear bleeding and they have to stick this thing called a tampon inside of it to stop the excessive bleeding, I almost puked because i was young and I couldn’t believe what my ears were hearing. I covered my mouth trying not to make a sound because it was so nasty. That wasn't even the crazy part because afterwards they started to talk about having sex and who will be the first one out of them both to have the first child. I learned a lot that night by just ease dropping on conversations said by my sisters. It was bad because I wasn't supposed to know that kind of stuff until the time was right.

1 comment:

  1. HI Arion,

    This can be a traumatic event in your life! :) While I should be sorry that you heard this, I am a womyn first. I grew up in a household of 4 brothers and I have always been very open about feminine things. What kind of conversation would you anticipate with a father figure say about sex? How might this differ from a conversation with your sisters?

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete